Weldon B. Lewis Park / Ancient Oaks Preserve
|Location||4650 Oleander Ave.
Fort Pierce, Florida 34982
This park is named for former, well-respected County Administrator Weldon B. Lewis, whose 21-year career was devoted to enriching the quality of life for county residents. Here you will find 13 acres of multi-purpose fields, a playground and a 38-acre preserve that includes a one-mile, self-guided, interpretive nature trail. Rentals: athletic fields and pavilion.
Baseball / softball
|Additional Information||Trails: One mile self guiding interpretive trail winds through the hammock identifying the most common species.
Habitat: Mature hydric hammock with several large, old live oaks, laurel oaks, slash pines and cabbage palms.
Commonly seen wildlife: Squirrels, red-bellied woodpeckers, pileated woodpeckers and cardinals.
|Historical Interest||The active use area is named after the late Weldon B. Lewis. Mr. Lewis was born on December 8, 1924 in West Palm Beach, Florida. He was a decorated U. S. Army Veteran of WW II and a recipient of the Purple Heart and Bronze Star, having served in the European Theater, 78th Infantry Division. In 1968, Mr. Lewis became St. Lucie County Administrator and held that position for twenty-one (21) years when he retired on May 13, 1989. This park is named after Weldon B. Lewis as a token of the appreciation and gratitude for his commitment, not only as a recognized and respected County Administrator, but also as a great gentleman and friend to so many.|
To view the Ancient Oaks Brochure, click here.