D.J. Wilcox Preserve
|Location||300 Michigan St.|
Fort Pierce, Florida 34946
This preserve is named after Dewey J. Wilcox, who served as a St. Lucie County Commissioner for 16 years in the 1930s and 1940s. A one-mile self-guided interpretive trail winds through the 105-acre site along the Indian River Lagoon.
|Additional Informaiton||Trails: A 1-mile self guided interpretive trail identifies the common species of plants of the site.|
Habitat: Pine flatwoods, mangrove swamp, hammock and bay-gall swamp. The Preserve borders the Indian River Lagoon. Several large specimens of Slash Pine are found on the site.
Commonly seen wildlife: alligator, pelican, osprey, red-shouldered hawk, ibis, herons, egrets, wood stork and spoonbills.
|Historical Interest||The site was named after D. J. Wilcox, past owner of the property and County Commissioner. Dewey Wilcox was a foreman for the East Coast Development Company (partly owned by Edwin Binney from Crayola fame) that was to create a new town called Indrio during the land boom of the late 1920's. The depression stopped the town from being built, and Dewey purchased much of the land from the company. D.J. moved his in-laws (the Aubrecht's) to the site in the late 1920's. Remnants of the Aubrecht homestead (circa 1925) remain, and a short trail interprets its history.|
Note: Caution should be taken when hiking the trail, as alligators are known to frequent the area around the lake.
To view the D.J. Wilcox brochure, click here.
To view D.J. Wilcox site map, click here.
To view D.J. Wilcox Coastal Side site map, click here.
To view information about the American Alligator, click here.
To view information about the Aubrecht Homestead, click here.