A Florida native and St. Lucie County resident for 30 years, Townsend has been a small business owner in the community for 30 years. The mother of two sons, Townsend also operated an assisted living facility for 11 years and a bed and breakfast for 10 years. Her background in real estate helped prepare her for success in small business, and she and her husband James “Bud” King currently own a Flat Land Mowing company.
While Townsend served the past two years as the St. Lucie County Planning and Zoning Commission Chair, many in the community recognize her name because of her experience as a volunteer and passion for helping promote and build a better community. An avid dancer, not only did Townsend teach country line dancing at a variety of adult communities, churches, organizations, and educational outlets in St. Lucie County, she also created and produced the successful Dancing With the PALs Annual Celebrity Dance contest to benefit the Fort Pierce Police Athletic League.
A former student of Indian River Community College, Townsend is also a longtime member of the League of Women Voters of St. Lucie County. She served as the organization’s president for twelve years. She has served with Deaf Service Center of St. Lucie County, the Moose Lodge, the Exchange Club of Ft Pierce, Elks Club, and the Fort Pierce Police Athletic League.
Townsend says she is excited about meeting even more neighbors and residents of District Five and St. Lucie County at large. She looks forward to an opportunity to continue to serve the community in a different and meaningful way.
“My ears and heart are open to learn as much as I can about the needs of our community, in order to address those needs and make a positive impact,” said Townsend. “I hope to be able to help create a climate that is conducive to small businesses and create good long-term jobs for St. Lucie County citizens. It’s going to be an exciting journey, and I look forward to sharing it with you.”
Boards and Committees
- Mosquito Control District, Vice-Chair
- Sustainability District, Vice-Chair
- Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors
- Transportation Planning Organization
- Property & Homeowners Associations
- Transportation Disadvantaged Local Coordinating Board (Alternate)
- Value Adjustment Board
- Workforce Development Board of the Treasure Coast
* Please note: Under Florida law, e-mail addresses and emails are public records and available for inspection and examination by any person desiring to do so. If you do not want your e-mail address or email released in response to a public-records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone.