Tuesday, February 15, 2011 - Free Tax Preparation Offered Throughout St. Lucie CountySt. Lucie County's Housing and Community Services Department, in its lead role for the Treasure Coast Community Action Agency, is again supporting the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Sites (VITA).
These sites offer free tax filing assistance to those residents making less than $49,000 per year. Volunteers are certified by the IRS and offer their time and services to help individuals and families maximize their returns, avoid the costs associated with tax preparation and rapid refund loans, and access resources for increasing savings and reducing everyday expenses. Electronic filing is offered and with direct deposit. Most refunds will be received within 7-12 business days.
Residents utilizing these sites must bring applicable paperwork with them. Four VITA locations are available in St. Lucie County, as well as sites in the adjacent counties. There is also a self-serve location available for those who want to file their own returns, but need access to e-file and electronic preparation software.
For more information, please call 211 or the Housing and Community Services Office at 772-462-1777 or check on the website www.stlucieco.org.
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Sites (VITA) in St. Lucie County include:
- Miracle Prayer Temple, 3215 Avenue Q, Fort Pierce - Saturdays from 9:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.
- Mustard Seed Ministries, 3130 South US 1, Fort Pierce - Monday, Wednesday, Friday from 9 a.m. - 1 p.m.
- Mustard Seed Ministries, 8311 South US 1, Port St. Lucie - Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday from 9:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.
- Port St. Lucie Community Center, 2195 Airoso Blvd., Port St. Lucie - Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday from 9 a.m. - 1 p.m.
A list of potential paperwork that residents will need to bring to have their federal taxes returns prepared include:
- Proof of identification
- Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents and/or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
- 2010 Economic Stimulus payment information
- Property tax bills
- All income documents, including wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, from ALL employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099-Div)
- A copy of last year’s Federal and State returns, if available
- Bank Routing Numbers and Account Numbers for Direct Deposit
- Total paid for day care provider and the day care provider's tax identifying number (the provider's Social Security Number or the provider's business Employer Identification Number)
- Summary of moving expenses
- Summary of educational expenses (college tuition)
- IRA contributions (traditional, SEP, or rollovers)
- Student loan interest paid (1098-E)
- Health care expenses and mileage (doctors, dentists, health insurance, eye care, medicine)
- Volunteering mileage
- Real estate taxes
- Motor vehicle registration
- Mortgage interest paid (1098)
- Last year's tax preparation fees
- Job-related expenses (union dues, job education, uniforms)
- Proof of loss of property due to casualty or theft